By Jennifer Smith
Returning home from a vacation can make you feel like you need another vacation. Managing the pile of mail, voicemails, dirty laundry, and unpacking can easily becoming overwhelming. If you don’t have a homecoming game plan, your house can easily become more disorganized than your bulging suitcase. Follow these steps to save yourself time and clutter when you return home from paradise.
1. Plan for your homecoming before you go on vacation. Make sure that you wash the dishes, run that last load of laundry, and tidy up so that you don’t come home to a pigsty. Coming home to a mess can make you feel even more overwhelmed while coming home to an organized abode can motivate you to keep it clean!
2. Make a To-Do list of your post-vacation priorities that need to be accomplished. Planning out what needs to be done will help you plan your time and feel accomplished as you complete each task.
3. Designate a spot to unpack and get to it. Unpacking in one area can prevent you from spreading the inevitable mess throughout your home. Aim to unpack everyday items such as personal care products first so that you don’t have to dig through a pile to find something when you need it.
4. Unpack clean clothes. It sounds overly simple, right? Unfortunately it is all too easy to leave this task for last, which means that your clean clothes will likely be wrinkled and in need of laundering. Put clean clothes away ASAP and send dirty clothes off to the laundry room.
5. Don’t let your vacation end the day you get back. Take off an extra day to get things done around the house so that you don’t return to work stressed and jet lagged. If you get everything done with time to spare, take a seat and organize your vacation photos or brainstorm for your next getaway.