The sun is shining and the air is thick with pollen and dust. You’ve got your checklist for a thorough spring clean, but where to start? We asked some of our most seasoned cleaning Taskers for their best spring cleaning tips. Read on to see how they make every space shine, no matter how thick the dust.
When cleaning, there’s a method to the madness, says Elite Tasker Maggie E. Work your way from top to bottom to avoid dirtying areas you’ve already cleaned with falling dust. Maggie follows a dry-wet-dry process. “If you have a really dusty whatever and you spray with all purpose cleaner, all you’re doing is making clumps of wet dirt,” she says. “Get dirt off first, then wet, then dry again.”
Avoid Streaks with Microfiber Towels
Microfiber cloth towels will “change your life,” says Maggie. They reduce streaks when cleaning — and are environmentally friendly to boot. Taskers recommend having one microfiber towel per room to keep bathroom and kitchen materials separate. Just throw them in the wash when done and reuse.
Stock Your Cleaning Kit
Most Taskers we talked to carry these key items:
- Bleach-based cleaning spray
- All purpose cleaning spray
- Glass cleaning spray
- Steel wool pad (for tackling tough stains)
- Anti-bacterial cleaning wipes
- Microfiber cloths (one for each room)
- A transportable mop (such as a Swiffer) and wet pads for the mop
- Mask (if you don’t want to inhale all the cleaning products!)
There’s a cleaner for everything, but that doesn’t mean they can only be used for that one purpose. Try adapting these cleaning materials for sticky situations.
- Magic erasers are lifesavers for all stubborn stains.
- Dish soap is great for removing soap scum on bathtubs and showers.
- Spray window cleaner on faucets and stainless steel appliances to get them shiny and streak-free.
- Put a dryer sheet in the garbage before putting a new bag in—this will keep it smelling fresh.
- Alternatively, spray air freshener in an empty trash bag to help it stay fresher longer.
- For spots of mold, use a bleach pen directly on the mold and leave it on for 24 hours before wiping clean.