Stressed? Worried? You’re not alone! Almost everyone in America is stressed about something- a recent poll suggested that 8 out of 10 Americans are stressed solely by the economy! If you are feeling under pressure these days, use this 5-step guide to getting your life on track.
1. EXERCISE– Ignore your inner-laziness! Exercising pumps up your endorphins, making you feel happy. Take a 30-minute jog or bike ride and forget about your stressful day. It’s relaxation through movement. And with exercise, comes a great bod- so you’ll feel better about yourself inside and out!
2. HEALTHY DIET– Yes, I mean veggies, fruits, protein, fiber- the whole shebang. An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Keep your diet balanced- the more color the better (and I’m not talking about candy). Quick tip: make your salad resemble the rainbow. Need something low-cal and on the go? Small, healthy snacks keep you active. Eat your way (healthily) to a stress-free life! Don’t forget about dessert- it’s okay in moderation, and can keep your sweet tooth happy as well.
3. ORGANIZE -Tossing and turning at night in fear of forgetting to do something? One easy solution is to write things down. Keep a pad of paper and a pen by your bedside- you’ll find yourself falling asleep faster knowing that your to-do list is organized and ready to go. Also, most smart phones come with some sort of App to organize your life. Check out rememberthemilk.com– the moos coming from your phone won’t let you forget to drop off the dry cleaning.
4. DO FUN THINGS TOO!– Weekends are full of the promise of fun activities. It’s summertime, so get some rays at the beach or go to the park and catch up with your favorite magazine. Bored with your usual hobbies? Try some yoga, take an art class, or cuddle up with a good book. Go online and search for free activities happening in your area. The opportunities for fun on a budget are endless!
5. MOST IMPORTANTLY- HAVE A GOOD LAUGH.– Thinking about skipping that drink with some old friends because you just have too much to do? DON’T! Laughter reduces stress hormones and increases the level of health-boosting hormones. It’s also a great distraction- notice how you’re not thinking about your to-do list while enjoying a hilarious story from a friend? Laughter is the best medicine- so “ha-ha” your way to a better day!
Take time out of your day to take a few deep breaths. Making a few small changes to your stressful week can help alleviate some of the pressure you are feeling. And don’t forget, it’s ok to enlist help for those daily chores and tasks.